I love those random rolls you acquire as a film photographer. Old expired ones as part of lots or at the bottom of old camera bags you got with old camera purchases. You know the ones, we have all had them. You throw them into new cameras as test rolls, just shoot them when bored to see. I think most of us have done it.
I was getting ready to post about how I had decided from now on to take all my c41 to labs for dev and scan and just stick to b&w and e6 for home dev and scan in the future. Mainly after I had struggled to scan the first of the 7 rolls of the c41 I had dev’d the other night. I was worried when the negs had come out a bit dark, which is often the case for the first roll in the unicolor kits for me I find. For two nights I persisted, then during the day today I decided to skip that roll and move onto the next since all the rest of the rolls seemed fine. The next roll (kodak ultramax 800) came out perfect, as did the next, which turned out to be the test roll I had put through the Ricoh singlex TLS I had posted about earlier. The on which I had cleaned up, put new seals in etc. It is a fantastic M42 screw mount mechanical SLR with a built in light meter, that seems as of now to be in perfect working order.
Sooo, it was a pretty lazy arvo here in Clarko yesterday due to the weather, so since I’d burned 7 rolls of c41 in the past few weeks, I thought I’d mix up a new uni-color c41 kit and do some dev’ing.
I always enjoy dev’ing. Actually having to go through so much effort to get your images, that once it works it really makes you appreciate them . I always get mixed results with c41 developing, some of these rolls have come out nice and bright and some have the unusual blue hue I often get from dev’s in these uni-color kits, once I have finished these I think I will switch to trying a different c41 developer to see if I can garner better results. I have some interesting emulsions in this batch so stay tuned for some scans of Kodak supra 800 and Kodak high definition 400 amongst some others. I have a bunch of random emulsions that I am keen to get stuck into. A lot of these are just mainly general snapping or test rolls put through the cameras I have been fixing up lately. 🙂
I know, I know, I said I would be posting more frequently… I have been, but still probably not as often as I should be. haha
While I have been a little quiet here the last month, I have actually been really busy in whatever spare time I get. Whilst a lot of my time away from work has been in preparation of the birth of our first child, I have still managed to steal away often enough to go for wonders with my camera. I must admit I have been starting to formulate a focus in my shooting as of late. While in the past I freely admit I have been predominantly a snap shot shooter, still am to some extent, I am trying to focus myself on creating more images that are of a nature that they would stand up to printing or display in a gallery, I have had quite an interest in rural landscapes to this effect as of late, I will share some once I feel happy enough with any of the images I have created.
Kodak Max 800 (expired ’06?)…for speed, not so much for low-light…
Since getting back into shooting film a couple of years back, I have had this re-occurring urge to shoot a live band on film. To do so however, I know from experience, that I would need at least 800 iso film at the very minimum. So whilst on another one of my random online film splurges, I purchased a 5 pack of Kodak Max 800 Expired in ’06 (from memory) that was assured to have been cold stored. Being a great believer in the old adage ‘Know Thy Gear’, Continue reading Kodak Max 800… for speed, not so much for low light…→
As many of you will well know, if I am gonna do something… well lets just say I never do them in halves. haha. Thus explaining all my camera gear, music gear, film etc. etc. Well whilst collecting film oddities to try over the last few years, I also managed to squirrel away that desirable of desirables from our film emulsion yesteryear’s, some famed e6 film. In my collection I have some ektachrome, velvia, provia etc. etc. being expensive to have developed I had left it there for a little while and once I started home dev’ing e6 was the last of the things I intended to try. (as usual click on images to see larger and sharper)
As a few of you may have noticed I have fallen behind on my 1 day in 1 rolls… not that I haven’t participated I just have fallen behind in posting my rolls here online. I intend to start to rectify this in the future, but for now I thought I would start with my roll from this month, shot on September 28th at the Perth Royal Show on my Minolta Himatic 9 fixed lens rangefinder with Kentmere 400 b&w film. This was also my very first attempt at home developing my own film by myself and scanning on my recently acquired Canoscan 8400F. (as per usual click on images to see fullsize.)